Amazon is looking for a System Development Engineer to support and maintain software solutions powering one of the world’s largest Reliability, Maintenance Engineering (RME) enterprises. The RME Automation team supports the business through the integration and development of higher level software systems, realizing an Industry 4.0 vision for the function. At a basic level, these systems link our low-level automation systems with the cloud and we work at the cutting edge of all aspects of the automation pyramid, from device level to the enterprise level. The more complex systems are leveraging Machine Learning and Big Data to drive predictive actions, preventing downtime or defects in the material handling equipment and improving the Overall Equipment Effectiveness of the installations.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the industry and help support and shape the direction of automation and machine learning systems within one of the world’s largest fulfillment networks.
– You solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
– You are a significant and autonomous contributor. Your work is consistently of high quality. You solve complex problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices.
– You maintain SLA’s through the implementation of proactive issue detection and reporting.
– Your focus is on a major portion of existing or new team technology implementation (e.g., large or significant component, new enabling technology or process). You work with your team to ensure the highest level of support for the tools that the team owns.
– You consider the legacy of the systems you support, how they will scale, and limit the use of short-term workarounds.
– You make appropriate trade-offs, re-use where possible, and are judicious about introducing dependencies. You are efficient with resource usage (e.g., system hardware, database, memory/CPU, etc.).
– You identify patterns that affect the performance, reliability, or availability of a product or service and drive them out of the system through automation or other technical innovation. You are an excellent diagnostician due to cross-domain understanding of the technology involved in your systems.
– Able to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment.
Key job responsibilities
As a System Development Engineer II (SysDE II) within the MAP team, the primary responsibilities include designing, developing, testing, and deploying new software, systems, infrastructure, hardware, networking or automation improvements, with a focus on MAP infrastructures deployed in Amazon Web Services (AWS) and in the field. The SysDE II think in terms of architecture, not just components or services. SysDE II plays a crucial role in ensuring a seamless and efficient Factory 4.0 solutions based in AWS services.
About the team
The Maintenance Automation Platform (MAP) Team plays a critical role in ensuring that machine-generated data leads to automated, appropriate, and effective proactive and/or predictive maintenance actions. Our objective is to mature and integrate core software tools into a unified Maintenance Automation Platform.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Barcelona, B, ESP
– Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related technical field
– 3+ years of programming with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby experience
– 3+ years of non-internship professional software/system development experience
– 2+ years of designing or architecting (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
– 2+ years of systems development in an IT or data center environment experience
– 2+ years of systems design, software development, operations, automation, and process improvement experience
– Experience building tools for building, testing, releasing or monitoring
– Master degree in Computer Science or related technical field
– 2+ years of deploying and operating in a Linux/Unix environment experience
– Experience building services using AWS products
– Experience working in an Agile environment using the Scrum methodology
– Experience with distributed systems at scale
– Knowledge of database systems and SQL
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.